The purpose of this report is to advance a much-needed debate about how to move the UK out of the counterproductive politics of austerity and into the age of the Green New Deal. This is a matter of utmost urgency. If it isn’t introduced rapidly, we are likely to enter another economic slump. A Green New Deal could be implemented now if the political will existed. It calls initially for a £50 billion a year investment programme to boost economic activity, in a way which provides jobs on a living wage in every community in the UK, while reducing our ecological impact.
- A new approach is needed to fund recovery and set the agenda for COP26
- UK economists survey: A green recovery could reverse inequality and meet the climate emergency
- The Guardian view on coronavirus and the climate crisis: seize this chance
- Lessons from Lockdown: The possibilities of rapid change
- Lessons from Lockdown: Living with less stuff